Acne Scar Removal
Radically Reduce Acne Scarring and Boost Your Self-Esteem
An Introduction to Acne Scar Treatments
If you have unsightly acne scars that affect your self-esteem, our experts can help.
Here at the Skin Repair Clinic we help improve the appearance of acne scars for people based in Bristol, Cardiff, Cheltenham. We use collagen induction therapy, which involves a series of needles penetrate the skin causing thousands of micro injuries at a perpendicular angle, to produce results similar to those of plastic surgery, but for a fraction of the cost.
About Acne Scar Removal at The Skin Repair Clinic
Our specialist medical device (not a Derma Roller) is fast and precise, and, as the needles are angled, there is less trauma to the skin. That mean’s you’ll heal quicker and look your best with little downtime. There’s no need to stay at home for days on end to recover; with acne scar removal from the Skin Repair Clinic you can return to normal activities, like work, the same day. Though, you may have redness for the first 24 hours.
You’d be forgiven for thinking this treatment hurts, but as we use an effective topical anesthetic prior to every treatment, you’ll simple encounter a slight discomfort.
If you’ve tried acne scar creams or other topical solutions to no avail, our acne scar treatment could be the answer you’ve been looking for.
The treatment time depends on the size of the acne scars to be removed and can take up to 75 minutes for a full face scar treatment. Larger areas such as acne scarring on the back, shoulders and chest may take longer. All clients have a full review of their medical history prior to undergoing any treatments to check for suitability. The treatment involves:
- Cleansing the skin.
- Applying a topical anaesthetic for 30 minutes
- Removing the anesthetic and sterilising the skin
- Applying the specialist machine over the area to be treated
- Applying a soothing cream
After all of the above we will then provide you with our specialist after care instructions and advise you on take home skin care products.
- Is it safe?– Yes, before all treatments we conduct a thorough assessment and review of your medical history. If we feel you are at high risk of any side effects that could occur during or after the treatment, we will let you know beforehand.
- Does it hurt?– No, we use topical anesthetics that are very effective when applied for the correct length of time.
- How long does it take?– You will need to allocate around 90 minutes to allow time for both the topical anesthetic and the treatment itself. You will be given a good indication of time your treatment will take during your consultation.
- How much does it cost?– From £399, depending on the size of the area treated. You will be given an accurate price using our sizing chart during your consultation.
- How does it work?– After a collagen induction therapy treatment, your body will start to naturally regenerate and repair the skin, working below the surface in the dermis. New collagen is formed, new skin cells are generated and blood supply is enhanced after the treatment. However, it can take up to 6 weeks before visible signs of regeneration and repair are seen. For the majority of Acne scars, 80% of improvements can be seen after just 2 treatments.
- How long does it last?-The process will continue over the following months, providing you with a natural and long lasting enhancement. This is your own collagen, so there is no need to wait for a product to break down, meaning the repair is permanent until your body breaks down collagen as it naturally would through aging.
- How will my skin look?– Initially the skin could look red for around 24 hours after the treatment. However, for some people this could be less or it could be more depending on how sensitive your skin is. The skin may become dry and tight shortly after the treatment. This is a completely normal reaction and we are able to provide specialist skin repair cream to help with this. After this, the skin will look brighter and more vibrant, and then approximately six weeks later the regeneration and repair process starts to tighten the skin and reduce hyper pigmentation.
- How many treatments will I need for acne scars? – The number of treatments required will depend on the type of acne scar and its severity. We recommend a course of 3 to 6 treatments as a minimum to achieve maximum results and more even, smoother skin.
The three main types of acne scars experienced are:
Ice-pick – These are narrow scars (less than 2mm) that are noticeable by their character – they extend deep into the skin (dermis or subcutaneous layer). They are called ice-pick scars because they appear as if the skin has been punctured with an ice-pick, culminating in a pin point base. On a cross section of the skin, they look as though they are a ‘V’ shape.
Boxcar – Unlike ice-pick scars, boxcar scars are round to oval depressions that have sharp vertical edges (0.1-0.5 mm in depth) and they do not taper to a point at the base. On a cross section they look like they are a flat U shape base.
Rolling – Rolling scars create a wave like appearance on the skin’s surface, without definite borders. Conventional skin resurfacing techniques do not work on rolling scars. They must be corrected by breaking up the subcutaneous fibrous bands.
- Creams – Can marginally improve superficial scars and the skins texture. However, these will not help with deep acne scarring.
- Chemical Peels – Help smooth the skin surface by removing the top layers of the skin. This can only be achieved with deeper peels, which require up to 10 days, several treatments and sometimes several courses depending on the severity of the scars. This is not suitable for darker skin types (IV to VI).
- Laser Resurfacing – Removes the top layers of skin. Down time can take 2 to 4 weeks. Only suitable for skin types I to III due the high risk of post inflammatory hyper pigmentation.
- Dermal Filler – Injectable fillers can only help to a certain extent. These work by raising the indentation caused by the scar, however acne and chicken pox scar tissue is compressed tissue making it difficult to inject. Should the dermal filler lift the scar tissue, it will not smooth the external surface of the skin. More importantly it’s only a temporary measure lasting 6-9 months typically and therefore not permanent.
- Acne Scar Removal
- Acne Scar Removal